[mythtv-users] Is this hardware sufficient?

greg at nodecam.com greg at nodecam.com
Thu Dec 21 14:40:06 UTC 2006

> I'm on 0.20.  It's been a while since I did any CPU benchmarking to see
> what % it's at though - I'll maybe fire it up tonight if I get a chance.
>
> XvMC makes a huge difference in CPU usage obviously too, but I didn't like
> the mono OSD, so I haven't been using it (has that been resolved?  I know
> a possible solution was discussed at one point)

How odd.  When I watched a 1080i show (scaled to 1024x768) total CPU usage
was around 60-70% but when I enabled XvMC, I didn't see much change -
maybe 10% at best.

mythfrontend took between 35-50% of the CPU, Xorg took about 5-15%, and
there was a mythcommflag job that grabbed a little bit of CPU as well as
other non Myth stuff.

FWIW, I tried non-xvmc alternately with both Kernel and Bob, and the
system handled it just fine.  XvMC was running with Bob.

I didn't have the best of source material though - I was watching
Sportscentre, and they show a lot of SD highlights (during which the CPU
usage dropped a bit.)  None of my other HD channels were showing HD when I
peeked at usage.

Greg