[mythtv-users] Steaming HDTV Performance.

Brad Fuller bradallenfuller at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 21 05:02:51 UTC 2006

Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Dec 20, 2006, at 6:50 PM, BRIAN LANG wrote:
>

>> I'm considering building a MythTV system.  I'm a software engineer,
>> so I don't think I'd have any technical problems that I couldn't
>> figure out.  I'm weighing the pros and cons of HD Tivo, WIndows
>> Vista Media Center, and MythTV.  If I do build a MythTV system I'd
>> likely have a backend in the basement and two font ends.  Both TVs
>> would be HD (at least eventually).  My concern is the bandwidth.
>> Am I really going to be able to stream HDTV shows at a reasonable
>> rate?  What kind of performance can I expect? All 3 computers would
>> be fairly decent machine and have gigabit ethernet.  Thanks!
>>

> Lots of people use the HDHomeRun to capture 2 HDTV streams over
> 100Base-T, so it is at least able to do that. If you're going to be
> streaming more than a couple at a time, you should definitely
> consider gigabit (You should consider it anyway since the hardware is
> reasonably priced now.)

The capturing of ATSC is not really a cpu intensive operation using PCI
cards (like the pcHDTV3000.) There's no encoding going on. Playing 2 HD
streams is more intensive, but since you are going to have a backend and
2 frontends, you won't have much problems considering the use of
moderately new CPUs and especially if you use Nvidia video cards and
work out the XvMC kinks in your specific setup.