[mythtv-users] OT Hardware RAID 5 non-Recommendations

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Wed Dec 20 20:27:23 UTC 2006

On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 07:27:25PM -0500, Steven Adeff wrote:
> > because slower disks (ie. 4200 rpm) are quieter, generate
> > less heat and fail less frequently.   Though you can hardly
> > get such slow spinning disks any more.
> >
> > When it comes to Myth, raid does one thing for you -- protect
> > you from single hard disk failures.   A better fan will
> > do quite a bit of that, too.
>
> it does with 3 HD tuners and a pvr-150 and two HD capable frontends,
> all able to record and playback at the same time with commflagging,
> *because* your running RAID.

So that's at most 100 megabits.  (The comflagging is niced and does
not have real-time needs.)   You have found an ordinary disk
to be incapable of handling that load?  It's a very slow, predictable
load, read in the same order it was written.

This is, to me, a very extreme need, but I would be curious if it
could not be met by a single disk, or at least a single video disk
with the OS files (which are accessed at random) on a different one.

I have always been curious about folks with giant setups.  I have
one HD tuner and on SD tuner and they are rarely on at the same
time, and I've had one HD conflict in a couple of years.  Mind
you, I view conflicts as god's way of telling me I watch too
much TV.    I view Myth as something that presents me with too
many choices of what to watch, and its ease diminishes the
number of DVDs I watch, even though they are higher quality
programming and image (over SDTV) that I just can't fathom wanting
even more.   Or wanting it for children.