[mythtv-users] mythtv hard lockup

David Rees drees76 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 09:11:54 UTC 2006

On 12/19/06, Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com> wrote:
> These exact symptoms started happening to me a month or two ago on my
> Pentium 4 3.0GHz Fedora Core 4 dedicated frontend+backend after almost
> a year of reliable service. Same symptoms as yours; I'd advise you to
> try logging into a console session ahead of time and then, at the next
> crash, switching to it to see if you can a) do local-disk reads (by,
> say, 'ls -la /'),
> b) do network-disk writes (by, say, 'touch /mnt/remote/xyz123'), and
> c) do local-disk writes ('touch /tmp/xyz23'). If you can do a) and b)
> but
> c) hangs the shell, you've got what I got. While fiddling with the
> options available through the magic SysRq key, I saw many mysterious
> "blocked by mutex" (or "blocked mutex," or something like that)
> messages. While that meant and still means nothing to me, I presume
> these blocks are what prevents local-disk writes from working.

My system is a Sempron 3000 with a single SATA disk, Via chipset. I'll
have to setup a nfs mount and test writes to it so I can run your
test. I'm upgrading the machine to FC6 now, I see that it likely won't
help, but thanks for the hint.

I suspect it's either an ivtv or a nvidia issue somehow as I have
other SATA FC Linux machines all humming along quite nicely without
any hangs whatsoever...

-Dave