[mythtv-users] (OT) Geforce 5200 PCI

Nate Crosno ncrosno at ipass.com
Wed Dec 20 03:54:45 UTC 2006

I have an FX5200 PCI -- nothing special was needed to get it working.  I
can play HD content with xine by using "-V xxmc", however, I cannot get
HD to play through Myth with XVMC....infamous prebuffer pauses. I think
I have tried every option out there and it all seems to play the same.
Been meaning to make a spread sheet just to make sure I try every
permutation, but have been dreading it.  For now, I watch HD content
through xine or wait until it's transcoded down to DVD quality for space
savings.  I have a combined FE/BE on a P4 3.2GHz, but it pegs the CPU
when trying to watch full HD without XVMC. With XVMC in xine, the CPU is
only 40% or less.  XVMC in Myth is "working" as far as I can tell, but
the playback is no better and the CPU is still pegged. BTW, I am
outputting via DVI at 1280x720.  I have an ATI HD Wonder and a PVR-150.
Everything is getting transcoded to 720x480 MPEG4 (1.1G/hr).  I forget
what the CPU usage is during playback of those files, but it is very
low.