[mythtv-users] Nvidia 9631 from ATRPMS not working

Curtis Porter cdp at curtisporter.com
Tue Dec 19 14:06:40 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-12-18 at 16:40 -0500, vamythguy wrote:
> I had 9629 working.  Ran:
>
> smart install nvidia-graphics9631-kmdl-$KVER
> smart install nvidia-graphics9631-libs nvidia-graphics9631
>
> to get the latest packages from ATRPMS.
>
> However, trying to start X gives me:
<snip>
> (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the GLX module; please check in
> your X
> (EE) NVIDIA(0):     log file that the GLX module has been loaded in
> your X
> (EE) NVIDIA(0):     server, and that the module is the NVIDIA GLX
> module.  If
> (EE) NVIDIA(0):     you continue to encounter problems, Please try
> (EE) NVIDIA(0):     reinstalling the NVIDIA driver.
> Error: API mismatch: the NVIDIA kernel module has the version
> 1.0-9629, but
> this X module has the version 1.0-9631.  Please make sure that the
> kernel
> module and all NVIDIA driver components have the same version.

I had this problem last night.  I first removed all traces of the 9629
driver via rpm -e nvidia-graphics9629-kmdl-$KVER
nvidia-graphics9629-libs, etc.  At that point I got this same error
message again, only it reported an API mismatch between kernel module
version 1.0-8776 and X module 1.0-9631.  So I removed 8776 in the same
fashion.  Unsurprisingly, it then reported to me that I had no NVIDIA
kernel module at all.  So I removed the rest of my nvidia-graphics
packages and did a "smart install nvidia-graphics9631", which fixed the
problem (after a reboot, which might not have been necessary).

My first thought was that when I last ran "smart upgrade" I received a
new kernel, and the 9631 nvidia driver was installed for the kernel I
was running at the time but not for my new kernel.  Checking rpm -qi on
the currently running kernel shows that it was installed on November 15,
so that isn't it.  Hopefully this gives some additional information for
someone who knows more about what's going on than I do...

Curtis