[mythtv-users] Numerical sorting in the program guide

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Tue Dec 19 09:08:00 UTC 2006

Jesse Dhillon <tobor at berkeley.edu> says:
> Is there any way to get the program guide to sort channels by
> numbers?  When you tell it to sort by channel number, it actually
> sorts the numbers alphabetically. Thus, channels 1 and 11 are
> adjacent and both precede channel 2 because they both begin with the
> number 1.

Ah, you're like me and prefer to view ATSC channels+subchannels
without any underscores, dashes, or periods in between the
numerals. Thus, for example, the FOX ATSC affiliate for both of us
appears on our boxes as 21, not 2.1 or 2_1 or 2-1. However, the system
does not view these channels as we do, and sorts channels this way:

2
21
4
41
5
51
7
71
9
91
11
111

You can assign new channel numbers to the ATSC channels, because
channel numbers are purely cosmetic to the scheduler. However, I
haven't done this myself because I don't know the impact of what I
mention at the end of
<URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/236643#236643>.

The odd thing is that I think it was 0.20 (and specifically
<URL:http://cvs.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/10392> and
<URL:http://cvs.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/1966) that changed this for the
worse. I can't swear to Program Guide, but Manage Recordings|Schedule
Recordings|Search Lists|Channels used to do a strict numerical sort. I
haven't filed a ticket as it's not exactly a bug, but maybe I should.