[mythtv-users] ATSC not finding tables on full scan - Help!!

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Tue Dec 19 08:54:46 UTC 2006

Myth Tv <mythtv at haiderkazmi.org> says:
> The problem I am having is that I am unable to scan for HD channels
> off air on MythTV.

> The Full channel scan shows the card status as "Signal Locked",
> however it says "no tables" on those locked channels.

Believe me, I sympathize; see
for example. I agree that the current ATSC scanning method is broken
(and so is the channels.conf import feature; I never could get that to
work). Here's what I did to finally be able to pull in all the OTA
channels I wanted after about nine months of suffering with just two,
FOX and UPN/The CW:

a) I got a longer coax cable. Even though I already knew that the
   location and orientation of my little indoor antenna (I have used a
   Silver Sensor and the aforementioned $20 Radio Shack
   circle-in-triangle model with ultimately similar results in terms
   of number of channels pulled in; I prefer the former because
   there's less to fiddle with) made a difference to reception, I had
   never bothered to see what would happen with a longer coax cable
   than the 3' one that came with the antenna. Being able to move the
   antenna around only a few more feet from the capture card made a
   colossal difference.
b) The above got me a few more OTA channels with a full ATSC scan in
   mythtv-setup. However, I still had to manually insert other
   channels' frequencies with the mysterious and baroque Transport
   Editor (an example of one for the San Francisco bay area is at
   <URL:http://linuxgazette.net/118/knaggs.html>).[1] I then rescanned
   just the ATSC channels I was interested in.

[1] Note that the ATSC channels MythTV uses currently does not match
the figures available at labs.zap2it.com. See
note that Zap2it subsequently reversed this change, causing yet more
confusion amongst the populace.