[mythtv-users] Anyway to have mythbackend and mysql server on different machines?

Tom Lichti tom at redpepperracing.com
Mon Dec 18 17:03:59 UTC 2006

Listbox wrote:
> Hi,
> I'd like to have mythbackend use a remote mysql server, instead of
> using a local socket file.
> I've discovered that setting ~/.mythtv/mysql.txt only works for the
> frontend. If mysql is not running on the same machine, then
> mythbackend fails when it looks for the "socket file", and refuses to
> start.
>
> Is there an equivalent to "mysql.txt" for mythbackend, or any other
> way to specify a remote mysql server?
Er, you use the same file, mysql.txt for the backend. Works for me. Did
you set the right mysql.txt file? I forget why, and never bothered to
figure it out, but I have it in /root/.mythtv/mysql.txt, /mysql.txt, and
/home/mythtv/.mythtv/mysql.txt. I don't remember which one it uses based
on my startup script, but I think it's /mysql.txt, because I never setup
the path correctly in the startup script. Still works though.

Tom