[mythtv-users] Newbie Questions

greg at nodecam.com greg at nodecam.com
Mon Dec 18 15:39:47 UTC 2006

>> I have shaw in Saskatoon (you didn't mention where you're from) and I
>> get
>> most channels over firewire with the DCT6200.  When I had a free preview
>
> How exactly does that work?  So the MythTV backbend just pulls the feed
> form the box?  Can you use the Shaw box and record at the same time?

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you...Crazy time of year ;)

In effect, the box is hooked up to my Myth backend, and sends info over
firewire, but when recording with Myth, you can't watch a different
channel on the cable box - it's only got one tuner, and the tuner is busy.
 The video outputs are live, so you could watch it on your TV as you
record it I suppose.

My 6200 is in the basement though, hooked up to Myth.  I don't use it for
anything but Myth - nor do I see a lot of reasons why you'd need to -
unless you want to watch something that's on one of the evil 5C=1
channels.

The main TV is hooked up to a Myth frontend only - there is no TV fed into
it any other way - and I haven't missed having a STB sitting next to it or
anything.  My main TV is a 10 year old 27" CRT though, so YMMV ;)

The nice thing about the firewire solution is that you get the identical
stream captured to your hard drive that you get live - there's no
recompression.

Greg