[mythtv-users] Beginner DVB-T questions

Henrik Gammelmark mythtv at geemark.com
Mon Dec 18 14:35:57 UTC 2006

Hi all

I have been using MythTV with only analog tuners so far, but consider
making the switch to DVB-T, and in this regard I have some questions I
hope you can answer me:

(1) How does it work in practice? You need a digital tuner card, of
course, but what about decoding the signal? At least with danish
StofaTV, you need to purchase a card with a chip on it, in order to
decode/decrypt the signal. I guess I need a card reader? Or perhaps even
one for each tuner card?

(2) Which cards would you recommend? Which card reader(s)? The HVR-1300
looks nice, but I do not know anything about digital tuners. Also,
availability of linux drivers is of course an issue. I would also like
to know, what is the best buy if using Windows MCE instead?
Are there any good dual digital tuner cards?

(3) How does hardware encoding of digital video work? I hope it is not
compressed to lossy MPEG2, as the Hauppauge PVR cards do. Can the card
output some lossless video/audio format that MythTV can store for
prefect replay, or is special software required to do this?

(4) If I have both analog and digital tuners in my box, can MythTV
abstract away from that, by seeing them as having the same channels? For
instance, if a show was scheduled for the digital tuner, but a conflict
arises, can it move it to the analog tuner, or does MythTVv see that as
two seperate channels, because one is digital or one is analog?

Thank you very much in advance.

/ Henrik