[mythtv-users] Prebuffering pause with HD - really... no kidding...

Joel Turner jturner421 at aol.com
Mon Dec 18 14:27:13 UTC 2006

gtgj at pacbell.net wrote:

>g> Can anyone vouch for a working fedora core myth machine?  One that doesn't
>g> suck up 100% of a dual core 4200+ or 4400+?
>
>        I have two FC5 systems each with a single-core Athlon 64
>3500+.  One is running 32-bit and one is 64-bit.  Both use nVidia
>cards (6600) and drivers (1.0-8776).  Both can just play HD without
>stuttering (without XvMC):
>
>1080i with kerneldeint:  15-25% idle, X uses 10-20%
>720p:  0% idle, X uses ~60%

Not FC5 but Ubuntu Dapper with a single core Athlon 64 3500+ at 32bit.
Same setup as above with video card and driver.  Both can play HD
content using Bob 2X.  I had some problems with HD playback (stuttering,
NVP pauses) that appears to have been resolved by tweaking the modeline
for X.  I can play 1080i content without XvMC at around 60%.  Strangely
enough XvMC increases using to about 80% so I've disabled it for now.

To get to this point I basically hooked up a Windows box running
Powerstrip, used EDID to setup a proper 1080i resolution for my Hitachi
Plasma, and transferred that modeline to X.  In order to get it to work
I had to disable both horizontal and vertical refresh check (see Nvidia
readme Options) as X was rejecting them as valid despite what the EDID
for the plasma was reporting.  This did the trick.