[mythtv-users] mytharchive creates invalid disc

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Dec 18 11:37:21 UTC 2006

On Dec 18, 2006, at 4:29 AM, Stroller wrote:

> On 18 Dec 2006, at 02:51, Peter Abplanalp wrote:
>>> Compatibility with standalone consumer DVD players has always been a
>>> bit slippery, and will never be 100%. Paul's comment about media is
>>> quite valid.
>>
>> ok, what media should i use?  i have both dvd+r and dvd-r single
>> layer
>> 4.7 gb discs and both are manufactured by sony or at least that's
>> whose
>> name is on the packaging.  is there a better brand that you would
>> suggest?
>>
>>> A few other points:
>>
>> snipped but thanks much for the pointers.
>
> You snipped the most important points: try the disk in another player
> (or two).

Agreed. My brother had such inconsistent results with a 5-year-old
player that I finally just spent the $30US to buy him a new one that
seems to play anything I throw at it.

I have also run across two different players that had problems until
I cleaned the laser lenses, after which they worked fine with disks
they had refused to play in the past.