[mythtv-users] HDTV HW requirements

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Sun Dec 17 21:03:59 UTC 2006

On Thu, Dec 14, 2006 at 10:30:07AM -0700, Mark Lehrer wrote:

> Sorry if you have already received 1000 replies by now.
>
> > I am thinking about moving into the HDTV area with my myth box.  I
> > know that recording HD is simple becuase it is already digital.
> > Playing back is the CPU intensive part.
>
> Correct.
>
> > AMD 2.0Ghz
> > 512mb RAM
> > nVidia 6600GT w/128mb
> > Projector connected via component 720p
>
> This setup is highly unlikely to work well unless your "AMD 2.0 Ghz"
> is a dual core.  I strongly recommend at least an x2 3800.  X and Myth
> are both extremely busy, and if you are outputting to 720p and playing
> 1080i content, you will want to use Bob 2x deinterlacing - which is
> quite CPU intensive.
>
> I had a 3500+ which _almost_ was fast enough, but there were still
> enough frame drops to make 60 fps content too annoying to watch.
> Moving to an x2 3800 cleared up the problem.

He doesn't say what type of AMD.   For example, the Athlon 64 3200, which
is enough for HDTV, is a 2ghz chip.   Even the older Athlon 3000, which
is only a 1.8ghz chip can readily pull off 720p though there can be some
issues at 1080 lines.

P4-3ghz (which is what I have in my frontend) does 1080i with lots
of CPU to spare.