[mythtv-users] Prebuffering pause with HD - really... no kidding...

Greg Grotsky spikeygg at gmail.com
Sun Dec 17 17:35:28 UTC 2006

On 12/17/06, john sturgeon <john.sturgeon at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks,  I tried that, but it made no difference.  The problem appears
> to be the frontend.  Xorg and mythfrontend are battling it out for
> CPU.  When playing back HD content, they both always total 100%.
> Seems odd.
>
> Also, when using Xvmc mythfrontend comes in at 95% CPU, the
> prebuffering stops, but that seems *awfully* high for an AMD 4200+.
>
> --
> John <><

John, those cpu usage numbers are not normal.  What distro are you running?
By the name of the myth module you are using it looks like fedora core, have
you tried another?  I'm running the AMD64 release of Debian.  I'm not
convinced that it's a distribution issue but there was another guy... Brad,
who was running FC with a dual core 4400+ and seeing very high CPU usage as
well.  Are you running a custom kernel?  What version is it?

Can anyone vouch for a working fedora core myth machine?  One that doesn't
suck up 100% of a dual core 4200+ or 4400+?

Also, are you using agpgart?  If possible, try running NvAGP.  Check
/proc/drivers/nvidia for any problems you might have with the driver while
in X.  Specifically `cat /proc/drivers/nvidia/agp/status` will give you the
details.

Mine reports:
Driver: NVIDIA
AGP Rate: 8x
Fast Writes: Disabled
SBA: Enabled

I'm running NVIDIA version 9629.  I just noticed that there is a 9631.  I'll
have to try that soon they "improved some interaction with newer kernels".

-Greg