[mythtv-users] Sound issues with the pcHDTV 5500 analog tuner

Bob Sully rcs at malibyte.net
Sat Dec 16 19:21:28 UTC 2006

Jesse:

I must have something configured wrong in mythtv-setup.

I added your modification below (in my case, to /etc/modprobe.conf, which
is Mandrake's way of doing the same thing).

If I try to scan channels with the v4l subdevice, it only offers "full
scan" as an option, with no frequency options or anything else.  Clicking
on "next" results in ...nothing.  It goes to the next screen, but there's
no attempt to scan anything.

If I try to scan the lower channels under the dvb device (QAM-256), it
does attempt to scan the low channels, it sees a signal (the signal/noise
bar goes almost all the way to the right), but it times out on each
channel attempted, until it gets to the higher-order digital channels.  If
I try to do it with VSB-8, it doesn't see a signal.  QAM-64 behaves the
same as 256 with the analog channels.

If anyone can give me a clue as to which parameter(s) I may have
misconfigured, I'd really appreciate it.

BTW - most of the unenecrypted QAM-256 channels I do receive give me a
nice clean watchable stream (including the five unencrypted HD channels).
There are a few, however, that are very poor quality, with
choppy/pixellated video and choppy audio.  Any reason why this would
happen on only a few streams?

Thanks
Bob