[mythtv-users] Freeview channels on UK Sky Dish. FTA vs FTV? CAM required?

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Sat Dec 16 12:50:26 UTC 2006

On 16 Dec 2006, at 09:48, Stuart Auchterlonie wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 16, 2006 at 01:43:07AM +0000, Stroller wrote:
>>>
>>> MythTV will work with CAMs supported by the DVB drivers...
>>
>> Ok... the previous posting <http://tinyurl.com/vrtlo> I read seems to
>> refer to the encryption method as "NDS Videoguard" and the CAM used
>> as a "Dragon".
>>
>> More research indicates that rather than simply a "3rd-party
>> programmable" CAM this might be better described as an "unlicensed
>> CAM" (?) and "most commonly used to watch pirate (or at least
>> extremely disreputable) filth."
>>
>> No wonder documentation is scarce.
>>

> If you want to look at this you are on your own. We DO NOT SUPPORT
> any non-legal way of decrypting broadcasts.
>
> End of discussion.

I thought I was really clear in my original posting - all I want to
do is view the free-to-view services, which are encrypted but for
which a card is available for only £20.

In the post to which you were replying I was merely remarking that
the 3rd-party CAM cards seem to have many seedier usages, and are
widely used illicitly. This had not been clear from my previous
researches.

Nevertheless, using a 3rd-party CAM in the circumstances I describe -
specifically, to view a channel I have paid for & am legally allowed
to watch - is hardly something to get your knickers in a twist about.
Using the £20 card in equipment that is not Sky-approved may possibly
be a violation of the license agreement (I think I read this?), but
recording any TV show could likewise be interpreted as copyright
violation.

Stroller.