[mythtv-users] PDA Transcode: new install feature forpdatranscode.pl

David Fishburn fishburn at ianywhere.com
Fri Dec 15 20:28:24 UTC 2006

Peter, I was just reading through your changes to the wiki:

***
Then I create a script call "pdatranscode" and put it in "/usr/local/bin". I
have two methods to transcode here. The first one uses mythtranscode's low
quality transcoder (number 29 on my system). I have low quality set to
320x240 with a 300k bitrate. An hour long show came out to 136M. The second
method uses mencoder. Mencoder produced a show 145M in size. Uncomment
whichever you prefer to use.
***

I am trying to automatically transcode these shows for a Sony PSP.
I was hoping to automatically cut the commericials before I transcode.

You mention above you set mythtranscode low quality to 300k bitrate.
I see you can do this by moving the slider down to 300 from
Utilities -> Setup -> TV -> Recording Profiles -> Transcoders -> Low Quality

You also mention you have low quality set at 320x240.  This is not part of
the transcoding pieces, so it must be part of (in my case) MPEG-2 Encoders
(PVR-500).  But I thought this setting would change the actual recording,
rather than the after the fact transcoding.

So in essence:
1.  I want the show recorded as usual with standard quality
2.  I do not want the original recording changed
3.  Once the show finishes, I want the a copy of the show with the
commercials removed and transcoded for the PSP

I still don't quite see how to do this yet.
mythcommflag --gencutlist
- That flags the commercials, but I don't see it actually removing the
commercials.  I think it does this all on the original file, rather than a
copy of it.
- Not sure how to actually cut the commercials, or does this happen
automatically when you run the mythtranscode job (instead of mencoder or
ffmpeg)?

Based on a previous post, for the PSP this line produces good shows (but no
title) for the PSP using 16x9 format:
mencoder -aid 0 -oac lavc -ovc lavc -of lavf -lavcopts
aglobal=1:vglobal=1:vcodec=mpeg4:acodec=aac -af lavcresample=24000 -vf
harddup -lavfopts
format=psp:i_certify_that_my_video_stream_does_not_use_b_frames -vf
scale=368:208  -o /media/mythtv/pda/M4V$OUT_FILENAME.mp4
/media/mythtv/$IN_FILENAME

Can we get maybe some profiles added to your pdatranscode.pl script.  So
basically I could say --profile PSP or --profile TREO|AXIM and so on to
target the slightly different settings each of these devices will need.  For
example, on the PSP you have to use MP4 files, not AVI files.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Dave