[mythtv-users] recording formats - standard cable

Brett Kosinski fancypantalons at gmail.com
Fri Dec 15 20:22:06 UTC 2006

> I have some confusion as to what format I should be recording in.
>
> I have a haupage pvr-150 and am recording straight out of the wall cable (
> 70 Channels no set top box. ).
>
> I do not have my myth box setup to display on a TV. Instead I just display
> on my 20 inch ( 1680 x 1050 ) widescreen monitor.
>
> I have it setup to record 720 x 480 lines.  Im assuming that I am getting
> some benefit from this setting recording from standard cable.

Actually, given that you're pulling straight from coax, you could probably
reduce that to 640x480 or even 480x480.  But much of this is quite
subjective, so it's often worth it to play with the settings until you get
something you like.  Remember, generally speaking, at a given bitrate, the
higher the resolution, the lower the encoding quality, as there's more frame
to encode.  So if there's no increase in detail going from 480x480 ->
720x480, your encoding quality will end up suffering for no good reason.

As an aside, there is one other major reason to capture at 720x480:  it's
the native resolution of a DVD.  Thus no scaling is necessary if you plan to
burn the content.

Also is there any point recording in 16:9 mode off of standard cable? Or is
> 4:3 really the best I am gonna get ?

Unless the cable provider broadcasts content that's meant to be displayed on
a 16:9 display (I've seen this happen very rarely during the odd hockey
game, but I'm pretty sure that was by accident), you'll only ever see 4:3
content from your average cable feed.

Brett.