[mythtv-users] Freeview channels on UK Sky Dish. FTA vs FTV? CAM required?

Stuart Auchterlonie stuarta at squashedfrog.net
Fri Dec 15 20:21:40 UTC 2006

On Fri, Dec 15, 2006 at 07:31:15PM +0000, Stroller wrote:

> My understanding is that the BBC channels are "free to air" (FTA) and
> unencrypted and that these can be accessed using a Hauppage Nova-s
> DVB-S PCI card and Sky dish. I think that's what this chap <http://
> tinyurl.com/yza9yt> is doing.

Have a look at http://www.lyngsat.com/astra2d.html
This lists all of the channels and if they are FTA, FTV or pay.

> A greater number of channels are, however, "free to view" but
> nevertheless encrypted (FTV). As I understand it you can watch these
> with a purchase of a £20 "freesat viewing card" if you "already have
> a Sky box & dish". <http://www.freesatfromsky.co.uk/?pID=6>
>
> Does this sound correct so far? Anyone know?

Yes, you can talk to sky and get them to issue you with a viewing
card for the "free" channels on their satellites. This allows you
to view the FTV channel (which are actually encrypted) as well as
the FTA channels.

The caveat here is that this card must be used in a standard
sky issue box.

You essentially have two options.

1) dvb-s card which will give you only FTA channels
2) sky box + FTV card + pvr150, which will give you all
the "free" channels on the sky satellites.

If you are lucky enough to have a dish equipped with the
multiroom compatible LNB then you can do both 1 & 2 simultaneously,
otherwise you will have to pick an option.

There is no point looking for a card that takes a CAM since you
cannot get a CAM that can decrypt sky.

Stuart