[mythtv-users] Newbie Questions

dat220 at tappin.ca dat220 at tappin.ca
Fri Dec 15 19:12:59 UTC 2006

>> 1.) Digital vs. Analog Cable
>>
>> I am in Canada with Shaw as my cable provider.  There is not broadcast
>> digital service and I would not expect it anytime soon given our
>> draconian
>> government controlled TV system.  I would like to make the jump to
>> digital
>> cable but I want to make sure I can still use my PVR.  If I subscribe to
>> the service does the PRV tuner basically replace my providers tuner box?
>> i.e. it can tune into the digital channels?
>

> No.  You'll feed the output of your digital cable box into your MythTV
> PVR,
> and control it via an IR blaster-type device (so Myth can perform channel
> changes).  This is because the digital cable feeds are encrypted, so
> there's
> no way to feed them directly into the Myth box.  This also, incidentally,
> makes HDTV out of the question.
>
> Incidentally, I'm also on Shaw Cable and have a Motorola DCT-2524.  It
> works
> beautifully with my blaster from irblaster.info and the DCT2500 remote
> codes
> (and quickly, after I removed the delay between clicks in my channel
> changing script).

Why no HDTV?  Shaw has a HD tuner available.  So you are saying MythTV
can't record HD content?

> 2.) Dual tuners
>>
>> Can I have two tuners and record 2 shows at the same time?
>

> Yes, but you'll need two cable boxes and two IR blasters to do it.

My first thought would be to have a second analog tuner as Shaw gives you
full Analog cable when you get Digital.

> 3.) Front End vs. Back End
>>
>> I recall reading that the ideal solution would be to have a dedicated
>> box
>> to record content (i.e. tuner cards, host the database etc) and a
>> separate
>> box to watch TV / content.  Is it realistic to not just build a high end
>> system with lots of RAM etc and use it for both?
>

> You could, but then you'd have this big, hot, noisy PC in your living
> room.
> The advantage of a split system is that you can have a big BE with fans
> and
> hard disks whirring in some closet somewhere, while your FE can be small,
> quiet, and stylish.  But it really is a matter of preference.

So the front end box sits next to your TV and you stream the recorded
content from the backend? I am bit confused as to where each component
(tuner cards, TV out cards, disks etc are placed).

Dan T