[mythtv-users] Mythtranscode and cropping

Dylan Semler dylan.semler at gmail.com
Fri Dec 15 19:04:56 UTC 2006

I record mostly HD channels, which sometimes transmit SD (4:3) content with
black bars on the side.  When running mythtranscode, it would be nice to be
able to crop out the black bars.  I created a transcode profile using
mythfrontend and I see that there is a place to specify 'filters', however I
haven't found any documentation about what filters are allowed.  Is it only
the ones allowed for playback (
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Using_playback_filters)?  There is a
crop filter listed here, but based on the description, it seems it just adds
black bars over parts of a video rather than actually cropping.

I do see that there is at least some effort to make trancoding a little more
user-friendsy: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Filter_Wizard

These changes would be nice, but in the mean time, is there a way to crop
with mythtranscode?  If not, I'll resort to a user job and mencoder.

--
Dylan

Type faster.  Use Dvorak:
http://dvzine.org