[mythtv-users] Transcoded MPEG4 + internal player = massive stutter

Brett Kosinski fancypantalons at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 23:45:48 UTC 2006

On 12/14/06, Robin Neatherway <robthebob at gmail.com> wrote:

> > newly-transcoded versions no longer play back smoothly on my VIA EPIA
> > frontend using the internal player (ie, when playing them from the Watch
> > Recordings page).
> >
> > Thinking that my FE may just be a little wimpy, I decided to test the
> files
> > with mplayer.  And it was able to play them back perfectly.  So it
> *looks*
> > like the box should be capable.  For reference, it's a 1.2Ghz VIA, and
> the
> > videos are 720x480.
>
> Interesting you should mention this. I had a go at transcoding to try
> and save a bit of space and have had exactly the same experience as
> you. Hopefully "-v playback" should reveal some useful info. Does your
> cpu usage hit 100%, or is it a problem with playing the file itself?

Well, I just figured out the cause of the problem, but I don't understand
*why* it's the cause.

Under normal circumstances, I have MythTV set up to use XvMC for accelerated
MPEG2 playback, whic forces me to use the BOB deinterlacer.  With this
configuration, MythTV takes up around 65% CPU on average when decoding
MPEG4, but I constantly get errors about the video being behind and needing
to drop frames (when I enable -v playback).  However, when I switched to the
kernel interlacer, the video plays back perfectly!  Why this is, I have no
idea.

Brett.