[mythtv-users] Getting OT: What size power supply for this backend...

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Thu Dec 14 22:00:27 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-12-14 at 11:52 -0800, David Brodbeck wrote:
> > This is not true. While power factor close to 1.0 is desirable because
> > it's good for power grid, environment and all, it has nothing to do with
> > efficiency and provides almost no direct benefit to a (residential) end
> > user. It does allow for a smaller UPS if one is needed though.
>
> I've never been able to get a straight answer on whether residential
> meters only charge for real power or whether you get charged for the
> extra current used by reactive loads.  Some people tell me one thing,
> some people tell me another.

If it is one of those old analog meters I believe it only
measures the real power used not the reactive power. But
if you install your own power generating equipment, like
a photovoltaic setup, then your local utility might insist
that you switch to digital meters which measure the
Volt-amperes. This is because your setup could run out of
phase by a lot more than the average home and in that case
they would lose a lot of money if they are just measuring
the Watts. I have no idea if they would give you a discount
since the VA will always be higher than the Watts...

-- Daniel