[mythtv-users] OT Hardware RAID 5 Recommendations

Mark Lehrer mark at knm.org
Thu Dec 14 17:14:52 UTC 2006

> I've lost a few disks recently, including one on my MythTV box.  I'm
> considering building a server that would hold MythTV files, photos,
> music, as well as back-ups of important documents on other machines,
> and so I've looked into going with hardware raid-5.  Does anyone
> have any suggestions for cards?

I have been doing this for awhile, quite successfully (except for the
files i had on RAID 0, but that was just stupidity :) )

I bought a 3ware 7810 on ebay - 8 IDE ports.  It works extremely well
(we have > a dozen 3ware controllers at work too).

The only gripe I have is that it is difficult to add more disks to
your RAID 5 - from what I understand the more modern controllers will
let you do this.  So you can start with 3 disks and have room to grow.
I ended up with 2 sets of 4 disks.

Mark