[mythtv-users] DVI on GeForce 6200 to HDMI on Toshiba 30HF84 TV

robin robin at robinandmariette.com
Thu Dec 14 14:39:24 UTC 2006

Thank you very much for your help Richard! I will try this out today. I had
thought of hooking up my s-video connection too, but figured it was a PITA
to have to keep switching, but as you say, once it's set up I shouldn't have
to change it much.

Robin Murray wrote:
> I'm trying to connect my system using the DVI out on my MSI GeForce 6200
> video card to the HDMI input on my Toshiba 30HF84 TV using a DVI to HDMI
> cable. I never get a thing on the TV, as if there's no signal detected
> coming from the graphics card.

Robin,

I have a Toshiba 26HF84 tv and I drive it at 720p over HDMI from the DVI
port of a MSI Geforce FX 5200

It took me a while to get the right xorg settings (posted below),
because the tv's PnP data only allows 640x480 @ 60Hz. Eventually I found
help at nvnews.com

I don't get anything on my tv until X loads with this card, but with an
eVGA PCIe geforce 6200, it displayed the bios & kernel screens just fine
I now leave my s-video plug hooked up to the tv as well, and switch tv
inputs to view my bios & boot screens, as it is rare that I need to
change settings.

I have tried a few times to get 1080i, but I only have standard def
input via a pvr-250, so it doesn't gain me anything right now.

I just noticed that the 720p modeline is missing from my monitor
section, it must be that the newest nVidia binary driver(9629) can do it
automagically, and the setup deleted it.

I have the service mode for this tv as well, and I think it might work
for yours. email me if you want it. I was able to reduce the overscan
slightly, but the sides of the raster are really ugly on this tv, so I
make do with Mythtv's GUI size adjustments.

Richard Woelk

here are the important sections of my xorg.conf

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "Toshiba"
        ModelName    "16HF84"
        DisplaySize  325        183
        HorizSync    14.0 - 65.0
        VertRefresh  56.0 - 61.0
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "nvidia"
        VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
        BoardName   "NVIDIA GeForce FX (generic)"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Videocard0"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth     24
        Option      "UseEDIDFreqs" "FALSE"
        Option      "UseEDIDDpi" "FALSE"
        Option      "connectedmonitor" "dfp"
        Option      "FlatPanelProperties" "scaling = center, Dithering =
enabled"
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24