[mythtv-users] Can a pcHDTV record standard definition?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Wed Dec 13 15:31:42 UTC 2006

Brad wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-12-12 at 19:59 -0800, Brad Fuller wrote:
>>>> Receiving unencrypted QAM signals without a subscription to Digital  
>>>> Cable might be technically possible, but is probably illegal.

The FCC mandates that certain channels, which are available OTA, be 
carried on the cable as unencrypted channels. So if you have a basic 
(analog) subscription, you will also receive, legally, somne digital 
streams. You can be absolutely clear that if the cable co wanted you not 
to receive something without paying, it would be encrypted... and 
sometimes, things which you are supposed to receive for free are 
encrypted too...ref the threads about getting STB boxes with firewire 
output enabled. and there was at least one thread about sic'ing the FCC 
on Comcast to get them to unencrypted digital streams of local OTA 
available HD stations.

>>> Thanks for the tip.  I will look into what my provider sends.
>> I don't know if your cable company will tell you. Best bet is to ask 
>> here to see what others in your area are doing. You could also just 
>> connect your cable to your pcHDTV card and go at it. That's what I did. 
>> I found a lot of channels.
>> brad
> Yeah, I don't see much info out there about it.
> Since I don't have the card yet, is anyone in the Lawrence Kansas area?
> How about OTA around here?

Check antenna-web.


More information about the mythtv-users mailing list