[mythtv-users] To install from source or apt-get ?

Stephen Sassman sassman1 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 13:29:41 UTC 2006

> It installed very easily with the apt-get packages, however I'm wondering
if
> further down the line I may run in to problems upgrading to new releases
using
> this method?

If you have experience with compiling I suggest you go from source. It
allows you to choose some options that you otherwise wouldn't have access to
(aac, firewire, etc.) and there are a number of things that are only
available if you download the source (contribs folder).  I have also had
problems with dependency issues using debs (on Debian), although ubuntu may
be better in this respect (although inferior in many others IMHO).