[mythtv-users] Getting OT: What size power supply for this backend...

David Whyte david.whyte at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 03:40:40 UTC 2006

Having a flakey backend is becoming annoying so I am looking at a bit
of a rebuild.

I am starting with the power supply, since the one I have came with
the nasty case and is probably very dodgy.  The problem is, I want to
make certain I have enough power available without going to excessive
and 'hurting the planet'.  (Though I am not sure whether the extra
wattage is only used when needed).

I have a Sempron 2400 CPU,
1x 512 MB and 1 x 256 MB RAM,
1x DVD Burner,
3 x DVB-T Tuner cards, and
3x IDE type HDD's.

The PSU is currently 400W, but I don't mind going bigger for my new one.

Bear in mind that if the PSU is replaced and I still have a flakey
backend, I will be replacing the mobo, CPU and memory to be Intel 775
style mobo, with a 2.8GB D/core Pentium D and 1Gig DDR Ram.  I will be
using the same tuners and hard drives, though the mobo has room for 2x
SATA drives too.

Any assistance is kindly appreciated.