[mythtv-users] Can a pcHDTV record standard definition?

Brad brad at bradandkim.net
Wed Dec 13 01:17:12 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-12-12 at 15:49 -0800, Robert Tsai wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 12, 2006 at 04:54:12PM -0600, brad at bradandkim.net wrote:
> > > I don't yet have an HD TV but hope to in the near future.  In the
> > > meantime, I need another capture card.  If I get a pcHDTV card
> > > will it record standard definition now and allow for the HD
> > > upgrade or do I need to buy a card that will be obsolete for me in
> > > the coming year?
> >
> > I think I answered my own question.  pchdtv.com states that the
> > HD-5500 supports NTSC.
>
> Wouldn't it make more sense to go ahead and record HD now? You can
> just watch a lower-resolution version on your standard TV now, but
> you'll still get better audio, and widescreen-format content.
>
> When you upgrade your TV you won't have to twiddle with your software
> configuration.
>
> --Rob

That's not a bad idea.  It goes along with Brian's reply.  I would have
to upgrade my cable box and pay a bit more monthly, chew through disk
space faster, and lose a little bit of real estate on a 36" TV, but it
might make more sense.  How does that work then with a PVR-250 and a
pcHDTV 5500 in the same backend?  Recordings from the HD card show in
widescreen with better sound and recordings from the PVR show regular
4:3?  But all recordings are playable on all TV's including a future HD
TV?  There would be no need to change anything with the recording setup
once I got the HD TV?

Good thought, thanks.

Brad