[mythtv-users] Can a pcHDTV record standard definition?

Brad Fuller bradallenfuller at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 12 11:56:40 UTC 2006

brad at bradandkim.net wrote:
> I don't yet have an HD TV but hope to in the near future.  In the
> meantime, I need another capture card.  If I get a pcHDTV card will it
> record standard definition now and allow for the HD upgrade or do I need
> to buy a card that will be obsolete for me in the coming year?

the pcHDTV-3000, and I assume the 5000, will capture both HDTV and NTSC.
Is that what you are referring to? Or are you asking if you can capture
ATSC and play it back on a standard TV? Which you can, that's what I do.

I tried the 3000 with NTSC and it works just ok. The sound is a problem
(you have to route it) and the image isn't actually nice looking. All
encoding will be done on your PC (no built in encoder)

But, if you already have an NTSC card (like a PVR-250) and you are on
cable or OTA, you might think about getting the pcHDTV card to record HD
signals to complement what you already have. That's what I do.

brad