[mythtv-users] Help with hardware questions...M2NPV-VM?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 16:24:15 UTC 2006

On 12/11/06, Michael Tiller <michael.tiller at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been having some problems with getting HD to work in my Myth system.
> It is "almost" there, but the system just can't seem to muster what it takes
> to run HD.
> It turns out that I can address another problem by scavenging the parts from
> my MythTV system and that leaves me with the possibility to upgrade the
> MythTV system.  So, I'm looking at replacing the existing SiS based
> motherboard + 2.4 GHz P4 combination in my current MythTV system with the
> following:
> ASUS M2NPV-VM Motherboard
>  AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ CPU
> A 1Gb PC4200 Memory module.
> My main concern here is with HD playback.  The motherboard seems like a good
> HTPC motherboard because of the onboard NVidia 6150 (w/DVI connector), 6
> channel audio, etc.  I would also assume (based on the wiki) that the
> processor should be up to the task as well.
> I don't really know that much about the current motherboards and CPUs.  Is
> there any drawback to going with something like this instead:
> Foxconn 6150K8MA-8EKRS
> AMD Athlong 64 X2 3800+ CPU (Socket 939)
> In the case of this combo, I could keep my (admittedly slower) memory,
> correct?
> I plan on keeping the case, hard drives, etc.
> The most important question is, will this system be able to handle HDTV
> playback?  Without XvMC?
> In addition, can anybody see any other issues with running Myth with this
> hardware?
> Finally, I'm assuming I can drop this in and an already installed Ubuntu
> will still boot up without being upset in the switch from an SiS chipset and
> Intel CPU?  Or, am I going to need a special AMD64 version of Ubuntu?
> I'd like to order in the next few days so any information would be greatly
> appreciated.  Thanks.

The Foxconn has no DVI output, which can be solved with a $30 PCIEx16
card, but at that point, why bother?

you can also go with the Socket 939 version of the Asus board,
which you can use your old RAM for. BUT, AM2 is slightly more
future-proof, which means it should be easier to get a faster
processor in say, a 6mo-year if you wanted to better support, like the
other Steven says, h264 in the future.

So yea, go with your first option.

Before you ask, read the FAQ!
then search the Wiki, and this list,