[mythtv-users] Cable Quality component DVI HDMI ?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 16:04:33 UTC 2006

On 12/12/06, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
> On Dec 12, 2006, at 1:44 AM, Mr. Demeanour wrote:
> > Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> >> I believe component is the analog version of those digital signals
> >> and you would be hard pressed to actually see any difference between
> >> them.
> >
> > I disagree with that.
> >
> > Or rather, it probably depends on your display. I find that DVI is
> > significantly crisper and more accurate than component; I view using a
> > DLP projector, with which it is quite easy to discern individual
> > pixels.
> > With component there is noticeable smudging between adjacent
> > pixels, but
> > with DVI there is almost none. It's obviously much less noticeable
> > when
> > watching moving video than when viewing desktop stuff, but video is
> > also
> > improved by using DVI - at least with my setup.
> >
> > My setup is dual-head (or was, until my LCD panel flaked out). The LCD
> > panel was connected to the component output, and looked fine. But the
> > panel was 1280x1024, 15"; the projector is 1024x576 onto a 2m-diagonal
> > 'screen', and any loss of resolution shows up.
> Like I said.. hard pressed. :)

Your source and display electronics will have more influence on the
quality difference between HDMI/DVI and component. HDMI/DVI lend
themselves better to longer runs though, being digital and all. That
said, using our DCT6200 as a test source, I could barely tell the
difference between DVI and component to our 65" 1080p. The component
showed more noise in busy high detail scenes. "Sunrise Earth" looked
the same for both...

Before you ask, read the FAQ!
then search the Wiki, and this list,
Mailinglist etiquette -