[mythtv-users] SMP Performance

jack snodgrass mrlinuxgroups at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 15:30:51 UTC 2006

On 12/12/06, Ryan Duffy <dusteur at excite.com> wrote:

> Okay, this is getting a bit OT, but its worth mentioning for the record:
>
> > cpufreq-info still shows it only as possibly being 1.0, 1.8 or 2.0GHz.
> > If anyone knows anymore on overclocking in linux,
> /proc/acpi/processor/CPU1/performance gives me the factory speeds for my CPU,however gkrellm with the x86-info plugin (aka gkx86-info) gives the actual speed its running at.
>
> > speed, taking into account that the Opteron's have no PowerNow!
> > feature, which makes me think that for a frontend only machine, you'd
> > may not want to get an Opteron.
>
> Don't know where you got that impression from, but its not true. My Opteron is very happy with its PowerNow functionality and spends about 90% of its time in its lowest power state. All Opterons produced since 2004 are PowerNow enabled.

Just wanted to mention that the power now stuff is cool. Lets the system run
at low speed, low heat, low noice ( my fan speed goes up and down as needed )
You can barely tell that my 3 AMD boxes ( all with power now enabled ) are
on when they are idle.  My office stays cool all of the time. When I rip a
DVD or do something that is intensive... the CPUs power up, the fans come
on when they everything goes back to normal when the task is done.

jack

jack