[mythtv-users] Automatic converting HDTV to MPEG2

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Tue Dec 12 14:37:35 UTC 2006

Trampas wrote:

> Casey,
>

> My original question was how to enable automatic transcoding of the
> HDTV to 720x480 MPEG2, I do run the Myth Frontend on the box that is
> the backend. My question was how do I make the automatic transcoding
> work.

Create a user job that runs a script that converts the video.  You will
need to use tools external to Myth because Myth does not do this for
you.  It can cut MPEG-2 to MPEG-2 to remove commercials or convert
MPEG-2 to MPEG-4 but does not do MPEG-2 to MPEG-2 with bitrate and
resolution changes.  People have pointed you already to the archives of
this list where this has been brought up many times before with multiple
example scripts posted.  There is even on in the past week with a script
called pdatranscode that should give you all the information you need to
modify that to your liking.  Once you have the script, you configure it
as a user job, give it a name and configure your backend to run it.
Then for each recording profile you can choose to run or not run that
script after the recording completes.

Kevin