[mythtv-users] Cable Quality component DVI HDMI ?

Mr. Demeanour mrdemeanour at jackpot.uk.net
Tue Dec 12 09:44:32 UTC 2006

Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> I believe component is the analog version of those digital signals
> and you would be hard pressed to actually see any difference between
> them.

I disagree with that.

Or rather, it probably depends on your display. I find that DVI is
significantly crisper and more accurate than component; I view using a
DLP projector, with which it is quite easy to discern individual pixels.
With component there is noticeable smudging between adjacent pixels, but
with DVI there is almost none. It's obviously much less noticeable when
watching moving video than when viewing desktop stuff, but video is also
improved by using DVI - at least with my setup.

My setup is dual-head (or was, until my LCD panel flaked out). The LCD
panel was connected to the component output, and looked fine. But the
panel was 1280x1024, 15"; the projector is 1024x576 onto a 2m-diagonal
'screen', and any loss of resolution shows up.

--
Jack.