[mythtv-users] non-cable video source

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Tue Dec 12 00:45:52 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-12-11 at 19:14 -0500, adam wisely wrote:
> hey guys,
>
> my pvr-150 has the normal cable-in in the back of the card, but it
> also has an s-video and composite-in back there, too.  i was wondering
> if it were possible (and how to do it) to use those second two to play
> video from an alternative source (say, my video camera) through my
> capture card, and have mythtv record it.
>
> is there an easy way to do this?  or i suppose i could just use a
> different combination of programs to import them to the box, outside
> of mythtv.

Sure. In mythtv-setup create another video source, add a channel
to that video source which is not on any other source (say
1000), then connect that source to the input you want to record
from. Now set up a manual record in mythfrontend on that channel you
added to the extra video source, and hit play on your
camcorder. MythTV will now record whatever is coming out of your
camcorder. But you probably want to use something like Kino
or Cinerella though. These will often be able to control your
camcorder/VCR over firewire so you don't lose any video. Even
when they can't, they make editing the video much easier. You
can then import the video into MythTV and use MythArchive to
create the ultimate home video screener. :)

-- Daniel