[mythtv-users] IVTV PVR 350 TV Out - ivtvdev_drv.o is unresolved

Jeff Simpson jeffsimpson at alum.wpi.edu
Mon Dec 11 22:06:23 UTC 2006

On 12/11/06, scott at tbwifi.ca <scott at tbwifi.ca> wrote:
> I am trying to get TV out working on a PVR 350 on a Mandriva 2006 distro.
> I am having the same X errors as are shown in a referenced discussion
> below.  My hunting around suggests that many others have stumbled on the
> same issue.  My question for the people who have managed to solve this is
> just what they did to get up and running.  Andy references a Hellion link
> http://www.hellion.org.uk/ivtv/index.html, which seems geared to Debian,
> but others have suggested that the resolution is Distro independent.  The
> X Driver link is http://www.hellion.org.uk/ivtv/index.html.  The errors
> shown below refer to the ivtvdev_drv.o file.  The file in the link is
> ivtvdev_drv.so~i386.  Does one just rename it to suit or am I missing
> something more?
>
> Andy's post…
>
> Thursday, 20 July 2006
> MythTV: Finally I could move the UI to the Hauppauge TV Out
> One of the annoying thing on my frontend box was that I had to switch on
> the TV between two input channels because the video cards S-Video output
> had to be on another input channel than the Hauppauge TV Tuner card's TV
> Out. After a while I figured out that one can display the X window output
> onto the TV Tuner's TV Out but I could not figure out how it works. After
> a while I finally found a fairly good description on Wikibooks MythTV
> Installation description (2/3 down the page). After fiddling around with X
> I finally could make it work, nearly. It failed at the very end with an
> exception that the IVTV X driver contained some missing symbols:
> Required symbol shadowAdd from
> module/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/ivtvdev_drv.o is unresolved!
> Required symbol shadowSetup from
> module/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/ivtvdev_drv.o is unresolved!
> Required symbol fbPictureInit from
> module/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/ivtvdev_drv.o is unresolved!
> Required symbol fbScreenInit from
> module/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/ivtvdev_drv.o is unresolved!
> Required symbol shadowAlloc from
> module/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/ivtvdev_drv.o is unresolved!
> and after posting an email to the IVTV mailing list with no feedback I was
> stuck.
> Somehow searching around the net I stumbled over this page:
> http://www.hellion.org.uk/ivtv/index.html which contained a updated
> driver. Nevertheless the page was dealing with Debian Linux and so I was
> skeptical. But you do not know until you tried and so I downloaded and
> installed the new driver. After rebooting the box I finally could bring up
> X on the TV out channel and now I do not have to switch the TV input
> channels anymore.
> The last item on my list is to hide all the Linux bootstrap output behind
> a splash screen to make it look neat and tidy.
> Have fun - Andy
> Posted by schaefera at 7:24 PM in Linux

I *highly* recommend compiling the ivtvdev_drv from scratch on your
machine. It relies on the version of X you are using, your kernel
version, ivtv version, and I'm sure other things I can't think of. A
binary copy of ivtvdev_drv.o can only be guaranteed to work if you
have the same distribution and same versions of all of the related
packages as the person who build that binary.

So if you know somebody with the same distribution, you can get a copy
from them and it should work, or if there is a package out there
specifically for your distro. Otherwise, take a crack at downloading
the source from ivtvdriver.org and compile it yourself, that should
fix the unresolved driver issues.

 - Jeff