[mythtv-users] Automatic converting HDTV to MPEG2

Trampas tstern at nc.rr.com
Mon Dec 11 21:35:24 UTC 2006

Actually this may just be a straw that broke camel's back.

It took about 2 months to get the Nvidia drivers to install correctly,
everyone told me I was an idiot and must be stupid. Therefore I got 3
different Linux administrators to come over to my house and install the
Nvidia drivers. 4 hours later no Nvidia, they suggested I buy a new computer
as that it "should" work and it must be a hardware problem.

It took me another 20-30 hours of work to get the Nvidia drivers installed.
Then Myth seems to work pretty well, however I noticed when rebooting it
swaps the HDTV and the PVR150 in the /dev/ directory and I have to go back
through the mythtvsetup and fix it. Apparently people are saying something
called udev will fix the problem, all I have to do install some more scripts
and edit cryptic config files.

Now on to the mediaMVP, so people tell me how great it is. Well I could not
get the new dongle.bin to load. So about 60 hours later I had became an
expert on bootp and realized that no one ever mentioned that for the
dongle.bin to load from myth box the myth box has to be your DHCP. So the
recommended solution if you have a DHCP server already is to load the
dongle.bin from a windows box using the Happauge software. But that only
halfway works as that you have to manually edit the IP address where your
myth box is.

Now the MediaMVP seems to crash a lot and will not play the HDTV video
streams. Also it does not seem to support commercial skip.

Also there is some fundamental problem with Myth where you can scan for
channels and detect the ones you receive, but if you download listings from
zap2it it includes channels you do not receive.

Since I do not have a HDTV, but rather was hoping to get rid of my basic
cable, I was wanting to use the HDTV to get better reception from antenna.

So now most people are saying I should put the loud myth box by the TV or
better yet buy new quite computer and put there. All I need a core 2 duo
with 4 gigs of ram, and a new HDTV.

I tell you what, this MythTV stuff is starting to sound like Microsoft more
and more. "You must be an idiot if you can not get drivers installed." "You
need this software to actually make it work." "Your AMD 3000+ is too slow to
run linux, buy a new computer."

Come on guys, Myth is free and you get what you pay for. I mean I have spend
over 200 hours trying to get Myth TV installed, yes I even tried the
"simple" distros like KnoppMyth and MythDora all which had their own
problems. If I had gone out and got a job at $5 an hour I could have
purchased a MCE box and actually had something that works. So tell me again
why Myth is so great and easy?

Trampas