[mythtv-users] Moving the location where my videos are stored...

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Dec 11 17:51:50 UTC 2006

Udo van den Heuvel wrote:
> R. G. Newbury wrote:
>> The procedures required to move the storage site of the videos and to
>> update the database are set out *in the documentation*.
>
> This part here?
> http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-23.html#ss23.7
>
> Is it relevant for 0.21something?
> Why do those tables mentioned there not have paths and only references
> to a storagegroup?
> The storagegroups (except Default and LiveTV) have own paths. (see
> storagegroup table).
> It would appear Ok to just change the path in the settings table but
> then MythTV gets confused.
> That is why I am asking as it appears a bit weird.

Firstly, the documentation is referring only to moving your recorded
programs. The videometadata table seems to hardcode the filename in the
field 'filename', and I presume that the settings table item
'VideoStartupDir' is the place that the system looks for those files.

It also appears that things are different if you are using SVN, after
#12151. That changeset added 'Storage Groups'. (Also .20-fixes I guess).
The changeset does not directly explain how the database was changed,
but I think it added 'storagegroup' to the record and recorded tables,
using the ''RecordFilePrefix' setting as the Default. It also added the
'storeagegroup' table, which keeps track of the actual places where
things are stored.
It does not appear that ANY of those changes touched how vidoes are
stored and managed.

If you are not changing the filenames, then it *appears* that changing
only the VideoStartupDir should work...but I have NO idea whether there
are not some other interdependencies in the database.

Geoff