[mythtv-users] Questions about tuners, networking, and audio

Steve Atkins steve at blighty.com
Mon Dec 11 17:31:05 UTC 2006

On Dec 10, 2006, at 7:24 PM, Dewey Smolka wrote:

> On 12/10/06, David A. Caruso <dcaruso at cox.net> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I recently installed Myth 0.20 on a box with the goal of seeing what
>> Myth was all about before taking the plunge and setting up a
>> dedicated
>> system.  Kudos to the devs...you all have created an impressive
>> piece of
>> software.
>>
>> At this point, I pretty much have everything I'm interesting in
>> working
>> but I do have a couple questions and was hoping I could get some
>> input:
>>
>> 1) Does the dedicated decoder on the Hauppauge PVR-350 introduce any
>> issues, configuration/hard-to-find-drivers/otherwise?  Does it
>> need that
>> same patch ( http://www.blushingpenguin.com/mark/blog/?p=24 ) that
>> the
>> PVR-150 does for its IR receiver?
>
> Yes, as the 350's decoder is no longer officially supported. You can
> still get it to work, but it's generally considered not advisable.
> You're better off saving money and getting a PVR 150, 250, or 500
> (2x150 on one card), and doing the video out from an nvidia card. The
> fx5200 is the gold standard, though other fx and gf cards work as
> well.

This is a shame, as the video quality out from the PVR-350 is
perfect, and it runs at zero CPU load.

I'm using a PVR-350 and don't recall having to do anything special
to make the IR input work.

>> 3) 802.11g...enough bandwidth?  Specifically, enough bandwidth for
>> multiple frontends?
>
> Enough bandwidth for one FE, but you may run into problems with
> multiple FEs streaming simultaneously. Probably not adequate for HD,
> but I don't have any direct experience as far as that goes.

It depends on what other traffic is around too. One 802.11b
transmitter will push you down into compatibility mode. You might
want to try some load tests and see how much real bandwidth
you have available (the numbers in the spec and on the box
are lies, so try shipping some big files around and see what
happens).

Cheers,
   Steve