[mythtv-users] Moving the location where my videos are stored...

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Dec 11 15:42:37 UTC 2006

George Nassas wrote:
> On 10-Dec-06, at 12:52 PM, Mark Chang wrote:
>
>> Can't you just move the video dir in the setup, then run video
>> manager? It should complain that there is an inconsistency because of
>> missing videos. Let it update the database. Then, move in your videos
>> and then run video manager again.
>
> This will work but the side effect is you lose whatever descriptions
> or posters you may have set up. For a handful of videos it's no big
> deal but for dozens or hundreds...
>
> The idea posted earlier about using a sql statement to "move" the
> videos in the DB is the cleanest approach. I'm not sure why the OP
> doesn't have a videometadata table unless (s)he is checking on a
> fresh install which has never had the mythvideo plugin activated.

The procedures required to move the storage site of the videos and to
update the database are set out *in the documentation*.

The database will get htotally confused if you just copy the videos and
then attempt to 'fix' the setup.

Although I don't remember if it is stated explicitly, the procedure set
out should work for tv shows, videos and music if the relevant table is
amended,

Geoff