[mythtv-users] How to locate the correct audio track when transcoding?

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 12:28:08 UTC 2006

DVB recordings in the UK can contain more than one audio track.
Additional tracks may be blank, and I've also come across running
commentaries for the blind.

My problem is, when transcoding recordings to MP4, to watch them on my
PSP, I often end up with one of these additional tracks instead of the
main programme audio.

I'm basing my transcoding on the scripts in the Wiki, using mencoder
(which is giving me the best results so far) and I've worked out how
to force the transcode to select a particular track (-aid), but I've
had to rely on trial and error to work out which track I need.

Bearing in mind that mythtv always selects the right audio track when
playing back the original recording, how do I extract this information
and supply it to the transcoding process so that I get just the audio
track that I need into the transcoded file?

(At the moment I'm running the mencoder task by hand, but once it's
working I intend to set up a user job for it)