[mythtv-users] SMP Performance

devsk funtoos at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 10 19:22:52 UTC 2006

>As long as you're talking about socket 939 chips have a look at the Opteron 165 for about $150.

oh, yeah absolutely! If you are into fiddling with OC, opteron is the way to go (the OEM clock is at 1.8Ghz for 165 and at 2.0Ghz for 3800 X2, if the OP needs that info). Although I have seen people OCing their X2 3800 to 2.8 Ghz, opteron will beat it for a few bucks (around 25$) more and less headache with increased vcore and special cooling. Also, you have to find a good mobo and memory to get the max OC, which might add to your cost.

-devsk