[mythtv-users] pcHDTV HD3000 voo doo

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Dec 10 18:57:02 UTC 2006

On Dec 10, 2006, at 11:28 AM, Robert Tsai wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 10, 2006 at 10:51:40AM -0700, Greg Grotsky wrote:
>> 3.  For those of you who are running like this with ATSC and NTSC
>> tuning from the same card, how did you manage the analog audio?  I
>> already have the audio output of the pcHDTV card running into the
>> audio input on my motherboard and it works.  Does myth mute the
>> analog source so it doesn't interfere while watching ATSC streams?
>
> Backing up a bit, how do you manage the *video*? I think there is only
> one coaxial input, which is currently taken up by my OTA antenna. How
> do I also cram my analog cable into there?

Don't know how he's doing it, but all ATSC channels in the US are in
the UHF range, above most analog cable signals.

So you could get a VHF/UHF divider and a broadband combiner and use
the combination to get rid of any off-air VHF channels and then
combine the UHF off-airs with the analog cable.

You might well get interference on the cable channels that are used
for VHF off-air in your area though, depending on if your cable
system actually uses those frequencies and how strong the signals are
in your area.

It's a bit of a kludge, but it might work.

You could also use a coaxial switch, but you would either have to
switch it manually or use a coax relay and somehow control it from
the computer, perhaps with GPIO or similar.

Probably the easiest answer would be to get a $20 analog card though
(cheaper than a coax relay), assuming you have a free PCI slot, and
just use the 3000 card for ATSC.