[mythtv-users] Upgrade from FC4 to FC6

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sun Dec 10 15:02:40 UTC 2006

On Sat, Dec 09, 2006 at 09:21:12PM -0500, John Welch wrote:
> Given that Axel has just announced end of life for support of FC4 in
> the ATrpms repo (if I'm reading correctly it will be at the
> beginning of '07) it looks like I will be upgrading my "server"
> (mythbackend, slimserver, file server, etc.) very soon, as I rely on
> his packages for mythtv, as well as various other packages (mostly
> multimedia stuff).  I guess the reasoning for EOL'ing FC4 makes
> sense,

The truth is that FC4 is currently unmaintained, e.g. there are no
security fixes anymore, so I can't lure users into staying on an
insecure platform, especially when they use networking to get program
data etc.

E.g. if the vendor drops the release ATrpms will do the same. That's
the general policy now.

> but I had been hoping to leave well enough alone on this system for
> a while longer.  I've upgraded two other workstation-class systems
> (one a myth F/E) from FC4 to FC6 with only a few minor issues, but
> I'm a little more wary of doing so on my "server".
>
> On the two other FC6 systems I'm getting more and more comfortable
> using Smart to keep my systems up to date (I had been a die-hard yum
> user), and I'm really liking its ability to resolve package
> conflicts.  With that in mind, I'm leaning towards upgrading to FC6
> over the top of FC4, as opposed to wiping out FC4 and doing a fresh
> install.

In that case make sure you use smart 0.50 (in the testing repo).

But even if you don't want to wipe-and-reinstall, the fastest way is

o insert FC6 DVD
o upgrade
o install smart and fix repos to point to FC6 repos (e.g. atrpms' FC6
  repos)
o smart update/fix/upgrade

But yum is getting more attractive, for example with the kmdl plugin
that ensures that your kmdls are coinstalled for the latest kernel,
too.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net