[mythtv-users] SMP Performance

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Sun Dec 10 05:17:12 UTC 2006

On Dec 9, 2006, at 8:55 PM, Ho-Kuo Chan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've searched the archives but can't find any information on MythTV
> running on SMP machines. Can anyone tell me if MythTV will take
> advantage of the SMP setup for building a time-slip capable PVR? (I
> guess that would also depend on the capture card drivers)? I have an
> ATI TV Wonder PCI.
>
> Thanks in advance.

You will see advantages with a dual-core or multiple processor system
since MythTV uses a collection of applications to perform its
functions. For instance, you'll be able to record, watch HD content,
commercial flag as you're watching it, and even transcode some
previously watched program at the same time since each process will
be spread out over the available cores/cpus. If you only have 1 CPU
available, it would be very difficult to do all that simultaneously.
I've noticed my AMD 64 X2 4400+ will use a little more than 100% CPU
(between mythfrontend and X processes) when watching HD resolution
content (without XvMC) so I would get stuttering if I didn't have the
second core.