[mythtv-users] Upgrade from FC4 to FC6

John Welch jrw3319 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 10 02:21:12 UTC 2006

Given that Axel has just announced end of life for support of FC4 in the
ATrpms repo (if I'm reading correctly it will be at the beginning of '07) it
looks like I will be upgrading my "server" (mythbackend, slimserver, file
server, etc.) very soon, as I rely on his packages for mythtv, as well as
various other packages (mostly multimedia stuff).  I guess the reasoning for
EOL'ing FC4 makes sense, but I had been hoping to leave well enough alone on
this system for a while longer.  I've upgraded two other workstation-class
systems (one a myth F/E) from FC4 to FC6 with only a few minor issues, but
I'm a little more wary of doing so on my "server".

On the two other FC6 systems I'm getting more and more comfortable using
Smart to keep my systems up to date (I had been a die-hard yum user), and
I'm really liking its ability to resolve package conflicts.  With that in
mind, I'm leaning towards upgrading to FC6 over the top of FC4, as opposed
to wiping out FC4 and doing a fresh install.  The other option I'm
considering is to free up some room on one of my hard drives and dong a
fresh FC6 install there, while leaving the FC4 installation alone; and then
migrating stuff over from one installation to the other.

I'd like to get some feedback from other myth users who have gone through
this upgrade, especially with regards to mythtv.  I'd be interested in
knowing which path you took to get to FC6 (upgrade of fresh install).  I've
seen some recent posts of people having problems with FC6, and some of the
issues seem to be outstanding.   If there are any "gotchas" or things to
look out for I'd love to hear about them.  I'm especially interested in
learning about any issues with the two tuner cards I am using: a PVR150 and
a pcHDTV HD-3000.

TIA,
John