[mythtv-users] problem decoding 720p content

Michael Weber mtweber at gmail.com
Sat Dec 9 17:39:11 UTC 2006

On 12/7/06, Michael Weber <mtweber at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have two of the exact same computers (Intel Core Duo 1.66GHz, Asus
> N4L-VM DH, 1GB, with nvidia PCX5300 128MB graphics), both are running
> off the same minimyth distribution, so the os settings are the same.
> The playback settings are the same (ffmpeg, kernel deinterlace).  One
> machine decodes 720p perfectly and the other cannot without buffer
> underruns (every couple seconds).
>
> At first I though that the network bandwidth was somehow different
> (faulty wiring or something), but I just ran an iperf bandwidth test
> and both machines came out at 90MBit+.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas how this could happen?
>
> BTW, 1080i on both machines works flawlessly.
>
> mike

I have some more information.  Neither of the computers work on my
DLP(1280x720), and both work on my LCD (1360x768).  So it has
something to do with the resolution.  And, if I change the resolution
of the DLP to 1080i then 720p content works again.

So it seems like (at least for me) the 720p content won't work if it
doesn't have to be scaled, which seems like the opposite of what I
would expect.

mike