[mythtv-users] HDTV HW requirements

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Sat Dec 9 05:45:15 UTC 2006

On Dec 8, 2006, at 9:38 PM, Mitchell Gore wrote:

>> There's a great chart which shows example systems and how much CPU
>> usage it takes to display SD and HD content on the wiki. It should
>> help decide if your system is capable of not.
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/XvMC#Example_CPU_Savings
>

> is playing the file in the video player the same as playing as a
> recorder.  Basically does watching a recording just use mplayer?

No. Playing back a recording uses the built-in player. It
incorporates the OSD (displaying the OSD transitions can cause
stuttering on some machines).

> If not how could i test it using the video player that the
> recordings section uses.

Install MythTV, import the video and set your video player to Internal.

> I ask this becuase turning XvMC on and off doesnt see to make much
> differance.

Then it sounds like XvMC isn't working for you. If you're not using
it within myth, you'll need to ask on that player's message boards
how to get XvMC working. If you are, you can search the archives of
this list since there's a lot of good information for detecting that
XvMC is installed and working.